Adult Patients with Chronic Illness
Friday's Progress Notes - April 26, 2002
Mental Health Information - Vol. 6 Issue 5
Published by athealth.com - athealth.com
Subscribe to Friday's Progress Notes! The best mental health newsletter on the Internet for practitioners and it's free!
1. Burden of chronic disease, by state
2. Helping patients take charge of their chronic illnesses
4. Comorbid depression in adults with diabetes
5. Effective patient collaboration in managing chronic conditions
6. Parkinson's Disease
7. Depression and diabetes
ONLINE CONTINUING EDUCATION
Plus courses on Alzheimer's, Anxiety, Aging, Anger Management, ADHD, DSM-IV Diagnoses, Domestic Violence, Ethics, PTSD, Grief and Loss, Addiction, Psychopharmacology, OCD, Co-Dependence, and more!
- Dream Interpretation: A Developmental Counseling and Therapy Approach
- PTSD: Treating Adults, Adolescents, and Children
- Eating Disorders, Obesity, and Other Eating-Related Problems
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Brief CBT in the Treatment of Substance Abuse
- Alcohol Problems in Intimate Relationships
- Supervision: Issues in Clinical Supervision
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Psychotherapy
- Solution-Focused Brief Therapy
- BDD: A Narrative Approach to Body Dysmorphic Disorder
- PTSD: Professional Interview Series
- Ethics, Money and the Therapeutic Relationship
Chronic illnesses such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes are among the leading causes of disability and death in the U.S. According to the Centers for Disease Control, chronic diseases cause major limitations in daily living for more than 1 of every 10 Americans. Treating comorbid psychiatric conditions and helping patients improve their quality of life are significant challenges in chronic disease care. Today's resources focus on the treatment of adult patients with chronic illnesses.
Please feel free to forward this information to professional colleagues, who can sign-up for a free subscription to Friday's Progress Notes at http://www.athealth.com/Practitioner/Newsletter/fpn_subscribe.html
Click here to review archived newsletters (1997 to the present).
John L. Miller, MD
1. NATIONAL CENTER FOR CHRONIC DISEASE PREVENTION
Chronic Diseases, Risk Factors, and Preventive Services, By State
View information on the burden of heart disease, stroke, cancer and
diabetes; causes of death; risk factors; and preventive services.
2. AMERICAN FAMILY PHYSICIAN
Helping Patients Take Charge of Their Chronic Illnesses
Effective chronic illness care requires a team with the patient at the center and active, involved participants.
Fibromyalgia syndrome is a common and chronic disorder characterized by widespread muscle pain, fatigue, and multiple tender points.
4. DIABETES CARE
The Prevalence of Comorbid Depression in Adults With Diabetes
The presence of diabetes doubles the odds of comorbid depression.
5. SCIENCE DAILY
Writing Your Feelings: Good Medicine for Chronic Conditions
The simple act of writing down thoughts and feelings about particularly stressful events can help persons with chronic conditions improve their health, according to new research.
6. NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
Parkinson's disease may be one of the most baffling and complex of the neurological disorders.
7. NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
Depression and Diabetes
Depression can strike anyone, but people with diabetes, a serious disorder that afflicts an estimated 16 million Americans, may be at greater risk.
CE CONFERENCE DIRECTORY
Find information about up-coming international, national, regional, and state meetings and workshops. Or, list your meeting!
LIST YOUR PRACTICE OR TREATMENT CENTER IN OUR DIRECTORIES!
If you're not listed in our therapist directory or our treatment center directory, you're missing out! Many of our site visitors are looking for a therapist or a treatment center! For listing information, click on
The material in this newsletter is provided for educational and informational purposes only. The appearance of any product, service, or Web site link does not imply endorsement, approval, or warranty by At Health.
At Health, Inc., has no control over the accuracy, content, or availability of other Web sites.
Copyright © 2002 - At Health, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.
This publication is registered in the Library of Congress, Washington DC - ISSN: 1520-3662
Page last modified or reviewed on October 3, 2010