Youth At Risk
Friday's Progress Notes - April 21, 2010
Mental Health Information - Vol. 14 Issue 4
Published by athealth.com - http://www.athealth.com
Subscribe to Friday's Progress Notes! The best mental health newsletter on the Internet for practitioners and it's free!
1. Treating adolescents in crisis
2. Cyber bullying
3. Online video gaming
4. Counseling military children and teens
5. Teen use of performance-enhancing substances
6. Addressing the needs of LGBTQ youth in foster care
7. Reducing teen tobacco use
8. Sexualization of adolescent girls
ONLINE CE! EARN CREDIT WITHOUT LEAVING YOUR OFFICE!
For a complete course catalog, click on http://www.athealthce.com
- Adolescent Girls: Development and Treatment Issues
- Grief: Parent Loss in Childhood and Adolescence
- Crying in Psychotherapy
- Adult-Acquired Traumatic Brain Injury
- Anger Management
- Cultural Competence: Cultural Complexities
- Pain Management
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Ethics: Money and the Therapeutic Relationship
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Psychotherapy
- Ethical Issues with Fees, Billing, and Collections
- Ethics: Spiritual Issues in Clinical Practice
Although young people often consider themselves to be invincible, many things can put them at risk. Today's newsletter addresses some of the issues relevant to today's youth.
Click on http://www.athealth.com/Practitioner/Newsletter/ to access the newsletter online.
Please feel free to forward this information to professional colleagues, who can sign-up for a free subscription to Friday's Progress Notes at http://www.athealth.com/Practitioner/Newsletter/fpn_subscribe.html
Click here to review archived newsletters (1997 to the present).
John L. Miller, MD
1. CURRENT PSYCHIATRY ONLINE
Adolescents in Crisis: When To Admit for Self-Harm or Aggressive Behavior
The decision to admit rests on the patient's risk of harm, functional status, and family support. (Complimentary registration required.)
2. CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL
Electronic Media and Youth Violence: A CDC Issue Brief for Educators and Caregivers
This brief reviews electronic aggression and provides strategies for addressing the issue with young people.
3. AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION: VIRTUAL MENTOR
Lost in the Web: Compulsive Video Gaming
The Internet provides new forms of connection and self-expression for a younger generation.
4. PROFESSIONAL COUNSELING DIGEST
Counseling Children of Deployed Family Members
Professional counselors are faced with the challenge of assisting children and adolescents with the effects caused by deployment.
5. CONTEMPORARY PEDIATRICS
Performance-Enhancing Substances in Teens
The pressures to perform and improve physical appearance are driving teens to experiment with performance-enhancing agents.
6. CASA CONNECTION MAGAZINE
Addressing the Needs of LGBTQ Youth in Care
This article reviews what some youth-serving agencies are doing to support these young people.
7. AMERICAN FAMILY PHYSICIAN
Reducing Tobacco Use in Adolescents
Experts recommend screening for tobacco use and exposure at every patient visit.
8. AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION
Report of the Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls
This report explores the cognitive and emotional consequences, consequences for mental and physical health, and impact on development of a healthy sexual self-image.
CE CONFERENCE DIRECTORY
Find information about up-coming international, national, regional, and state meetings and workshops. Or, list your meeting!
The material in this newsletter is provided for educational and informational purposes only. The appearance of any product, service, or Web site link does not imply endorsement, approval, or warranty by At Health.
At Health, Inc., has no control over the accuracy, content, or availability of other Web sites.
Copyright © 2010 - At Health, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.
This publication is registered in the Library of Congress, Washington DC - ISSN: 1520-3662
Page last modified or reviewed by athealth.com on February 27, 2011