Friday's Progress Notes - January 24, 2003
Mental Health Information - Vol. 7 Issue 1
Published by athealth.com - http://www.athealth.com
Join our leading online community of mental health professionals by subscribing
to Friday's Progress Notes! It's free!
1. Child abuse prevention
2. Identification of child abuse
3. Crisis intervention in child abuse and neglect
4. Child abuse intervention
5. Pediatric symptom checklist
6. Overcoming destructive thinking
7. Abuse and reactive attachment disorder
8. Treating adolescent survivors of abuse
EARN CE WITHOUT LEAVING YOUR OFFICE!
For a complete catalog, click on http://www.athealthce.com
- Focus on Child Sexual Abuse
- Depression in Adults, Adolescents, and Children
- Suicide Assessment and Intervention
- Assessing Suicide Risk in Children
- Ethical and Legal Issues: Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Psychotherapy
- PTSD: Treating Adults, Adolescents, and Children
- Eating Disorders, Obesity, and Other Eating-Related Problems
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Brief CBT in the Treatment of Substance Abuse
- Alcohol Problems in Intimate Relationships
- Dream Interpretation: A Developmental Counseling and Therapy Approach
- Treating Difficult Adolescents
- Adolescent Girls: Development and Treatment Issues
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Understanding Attachment Disorders
Child abuse affects children of all ages. The long-term consequences of abuse can be significant, including continuation of violence into the next generation. Today's newsletter provides resources on prevention, identification, and treatment.
Please feel free to forward this information to professional colleagues,
who can sign-up for a free subscription to Friday's Progress Notes at
Click here to review archived newsletters (1997 to the present).
John L. Miller, MD
1. AMERICAN FAMILY PHYSICIAN
Primary Prevention of Child Abuse
This article reviews possible causes of child abuse and current intervention strategies.
Double Jeopardy: Risk Assessment in the Context of Child Maltreatment and Domestic Violence
The twin goals of safety and permanence imply that caseworkers must consider both the safety and ultimate well-being of the child. (Free Medscape registration is required to access this article.)
3. NATIONAL CENTER ON CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT
Crisis Intervention in Child Abuse and Neglect
This manual addresses principles and techniques of crisis intervention with child abuse or neglect cases.
4. BRIGHT FUTURES
Evaluating a family's capacity to care for a child or teen is a critical aspect of health supervision.
5. MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL HOSPITAL
Pediatric Symptom Checklist
The PSC is a one-page questionnaire listing a broad range of children's emotional and behavioral problems.
English version: http://psc.partners.org/psc_english.PDF
Spanish version: http://psc.partners.org/psc_spanish.PDF
Pediatric Symptom Checklist Scoring
Instructions for Scoring and Interpretation
6. IMPACT PUBLISHERS
Destructive Thinking: Can You Stop the Cycle?
At the onset of depression there begins a chain reaction of negative cognitives – almost like a single spark that begins a bonfire – triggering an explosion of negative thoughts.
Child Abuse and Neglect: Reactive Attachment Disorder
Many children experience the loss of primary caregivers because they are physically separated from them or because the caregiver is incapable of providing adequate care.
8. ADMINISTRATION FOR CHILDREN AND FAMILIES
Treating Adolescent Survivors of Sexual Abuse
Violence in the home includes sexual violence. And just as with domestic violence, the effects are intergenerational.
FEATURED TREATMENT CENTERS
Milestones Eating Disorders Program - North Miami Beach, Florida
Outpatient and residential treatment for eating disorders.
DIRECTORY OF MENTAL HEALTH PRACTITIONERS
Looking for a therapist! Click here!
CONTINUING EDUCATION MEETINGS
Find information about listing live CE/CME meetings and workshops in the CE Calendar!
The material in this newsletter is provided for educational and informational purposes only. The appearance of any product, service, or Web site link does not imply endorsement, approval, or warranty by At Health.
At Health, Inc., has no control over the accuracy, content, or availability of other Web sites.
Copyright © 2003 - At Health, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.
This publication is registered in the Library of Congress, Washington DC - ISSN: 1520-3662
Page last modified or reviewed on September 30, 2010