Friday's Progress Notes - April 18, 2003
Mental Health Information - Vol. 7 Issue 7
Published by athealth.com - athealth.com
Subscribe to Friday's Progress Notes! The best mental health newsletter on the Internet for practitioners and it's free!
1. Adolescent drug abuse
2. Individual drug counseling
3. Medical implications of marijuana use
4. Screening and intervention guide for alcohol problems
5. Older women and alcohol use
6. Alcohol and the impact of the family
7. Enabling addiction
NEW COURSES! EARN CE WITHOUT LEAVING YOUR OFFICE!
For a complete course catalog, click on http://www.athealthce.com
- Alcohol Problems in Intimate Relationships
- Brief CBT in the Treatment of Substance Abuse
- Brief Strategic Family Therapy for Adolescent Drug Abuse
- Motivational Interviewing as a Counseling Style
- Treating Difficult Adolescents
- Adolescent Girls: Development and Treatment Issues
- Suicide Assessment and Intervention
- Supervision: Issues in Clinical Supervision
- Ethics: Money and the Therapeutic Relationship
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Psychotherapy
- Ethical Issues with Fees, Billing, and Collections
- BDD: A Narrative Approach to Body Dysmorphic Disorder
- PTSD: Professional Interview Series
According to statistics from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, between 13 million and 16 million people need treatment for alcoholism and or drug abuse annually, but only 3 million receive care. Today's newsletter provides information relevant to the treatment of substance abuse.
Please feel free to forward this information to professional colleagues, who can sign-up for a free subscription to Friday's Progress Notes at http://www.athealth.com/Practitioner/Newsletter/fpn_subscribe.html
Click here to review archived newsletters (1997 to the present).
John L. Miller, MD
Adolescent Substance Abuse
Dr. Howard Liddle talks about the practical aspects of assessing and treating adolescent substance abuse.
2. NATIONAL INSTITUTE ON DRUG ABUSE
Individual Drug Counseling
This therapy manual is intended as a guide for the individual treatment of cocaine addiction by addiction counselors.
3. AMERICAN FAMILY PHYSICIAN
Marijuana: Medical Implications
Treatment requires a combination of education, social support, drug monitoring, and attention to comorbid conditions.
4. NATIONAL INSTITUTE ON ALCOHOL ABUSE AND ALCOHOLISM
Physician's Guide to Helping Patients with Alcohol Problems
This guide provides screening and intervention tools.
5. NATIONAL INSTITUTE ON ALCOHOL ABUSE AND ALCOHOLISM
Use and Misuse of Alcohol Among Older Women
This article offers reasons why all practicing psychologists should acquire the skills necessary to address SUDs competently.
6. NATIONAL INSTITUTE ON ALCOHOL ABUSE AND ALCOHOLISM
Alcohol and the Family
Approximately one out of every four U.S. children under the age of 18 years is exposed to the effects of alcohol abuse or dependence in a family member.
7. IMPACT PUBLISHERS
Enabling is shielding an addicted individual from the costs of addiction. This shielding changes the cost-benefit analysis by lowering the costs and thereby lowering the addict’s motivation to change.
CE CONFERENCE DIRECTORY
Find information about up-coming international, national, regional,
and state meetings and workshops. Or, list your meeting!
LIST YOUR PRACTICE OR TREATMENT CENTER IN OUR DIRECTORIES!
If you're not listed in our therapist directory or our treatment center directory, you're missing out! Many of our site visitors are looking for a therapist or a treatment center! For listing information, click on
The material in this newsletter is provided for educational and informational purposes only. The appearance of any product, service, or Web site link does not imply endorsement, approval, or warranty by At Health.
At Health, Inc., has no control over the accuracy, content, or availability of other Web sites.
Copyright © 2003 - At Health, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.
This publication is registered in the Library of Congress, Washington DC - ISSN: 1520-3662
Page last modified or reviewed on September 30, 2010