CE requirements for AL social workers (LICSW, LMSW, LBSW):
- 30 hours of continuing education (CE) every 2 years
- 20 of the required 30 hours can be taken via self-study/home-study
- Must include a minimum of 3 hours of ethics
- Social workers who have a PIP (private independent practice) license also need 20 hours in addition to the required 30 hours. All of the PIP hours can be by self-study
- Courses must be social work related
- Licensees must complete a one credit course in child abuse and neglect reporting. This is a one-time requirement.
- Beginning October 2018, all licensees will need three (3) hours in clinical social work
- Licensees who provide supervision need three (3) hours in supervision
The Alabama State Board of Social Work Examiners accepts courses from APA approved providers, NBCC approved providers, ASWB approved providers, and other state licensing social work boards. Athealth.com is an APA approved provider and an NBCC approved CE provider (#6719).
Alabama social workers can earn 20 of their 30 credits online through athealth.com. Click here to view the course catalog
State laws can change. Practitioners are responsible for determining their state’s licensure requirements. To view the Alabama continuing education regulations, go to http://socialwork.alabama.gov/rules.aspx
Page last modified or reviewed by athealth.com on November 18, 2017