Continuing education (CE) requirements for Arizona substance abuse counselors:
Licensed Independent Substance Abuse Counselor (LISAC)
Licensed Associate Substance Abuse Counselor (LASAC)
Licensed Substance Abuse Technician (LSAT)
- 30 clock hours of continuing education (CE) every 2 years, including a minimum of 3 hours of ethics and a minimum of 3 hours in cultural competence and diversity
- In addition, beginning January 1, 2018, licensees must complete a 3 hour Board-approved tutorial on Board statutes and rules.
- 20 of the 30 hours of CE must be related to substance abuse
Acceptable substance abuse topics include
- Pharmacology and psychopharmacology,
- Addiction processes,
- Models of substance abuse treatment,
- Relapse prevention,
- Interdisciplinary approaches and teams in substance abuse treatment,
- Substance abuse assessment and diagnostic criteria,
- Appropriate use of substance abuse treatment modalities,
- Recognizing needs of diverse populations,
- Substance abuse treatment and prevention,
- Clinical application of current substance abuse research, or
- Co-occurring disorders
The Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners accepts online courses sponsored or approved by national, regional, or state professional associations or organizations in the specialties of marriage and family therapy, professional counseling, social work, substance abuse counseling, or in the allied professions of psychiatry, psychiatric nursing, psychology, or pastoral counseling.
CE Approvals: Athealth.com is an APA approved provider and an NBCC approved provider (ACEP#6719). Athealth.com is also approved as a continuing education provider by the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC) Provider #148460.
Arizona substance abuse counselors (LISAC; LASAC; LSAT) can earn all thirty (30) of their credits online through athealth.com
State laws can change. Practitioners are responsible for determining their state’s licensure requirements. To view the Arizona continuing education regulations, go to http://apps.azsos.gov/public_services/Title_04/4-06.pdf
Page last modified or reviewed by athealth.com on March 19, 2017