Mental Health Issues
Find information about a variety of important mental health issues, including ADHD, eating disorders, obesity, communication, parenting, family relationships, substance abuse, divorce, anger management, anxiety, depression, and a number of other topics.
Mario is 10 years old. When he was 7, his family learned he had ADHD. At the time, he was driving everyone crazy. At school, he couldnít stay in his seat or keep quiet. At home, he didnít finish his homework or his chores. He did scary things, too, like climb out of his window onto the roof and run across the street without looking.
Mario's situation is not uncommon. As many as 5 out of every 100 children in school may have AD/HD. Boys are three times more likely than girls to have AD/HD. The National Information Center for Children and Youth offers a fact sheet reviewing the symptoms and treatment of ADHD.
Teaching Children with ADHD
Here are a few ways to establish a proper learning environment for children with ADD:
Read more teaching tips
- Seat students with ADD near the teacher's desk, but include them as part of the regular class seating.
- Place these students up front with their backs to the rest of the class to keep other students out of view.
- Surround students with ADD with good role models.
- Encourage peer tutoring and cooperative/collaborative learning.
Additional ADHD Resources
Eating Disorders and Obesity
Your Child and Medication
One in ten of America's children has an emotional disturbance such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, depression or anxiety, that can cause unhappiness for the child and problems at home, at play, and at school. If a medication is prescribed for your child, there are certain questions you should ask. . .Continued
Diabetes in Children and Adolescents
Diabetes presents unique issues for children and teens with the disease. Simple things - like going to a birthday party, playing sports, or staying overnight with friends - need careful planning. Learn more.
Other Important Issues
Child Abuse and Neglect
Depression in Children and Teens
- Domestic Violence - Review facts about intimate partner violence from the National Center of Injury Control and Prevention.
Gun Violence Among Children and Teens
- Gun Violence and Firearms - These statistics review the incidence of injuries and death due to gun violence among children and adolescents.
Surgeon General's Report on Mental Health