Friday's Progress Notes
Mental Health Information
October 2017 - Vol. 21 Issue 10
Published by athealth.com
Longest serving mental health newsletter for you and more than 10,000 of your professional colleagues. Subscribe today!
- The U.S. Opioid Epidemic
- Evaluating cloud-based practice management systems
- Care of Special Populations
- Major Physical Health Conditions and Risk of Suicide
- Preventive Health Behavior Change Text Message Interventions
- ‘The Dr. Jim Show’ Battles Stigma in Local Community
- Business practices for the beginning counselor
- Hypocritical Flip-Flop, or Courageous Evolution? When Leaders Change Their Moral Minds
- What Neuroscience Can and Cannot Answer
- Mitigating the Mental and Physical Health Consequences of Hurricane Harvey
Suicide Assessment, Treatment, and Management - 6 CE Credits
As a mental health professional, you know that suicide is a major public health concern. Death by suicide claims more than 40,000 lives each year in the United States, out numbering deaths by homicide. This course sharpens your clinical skills and helps you prevent suicide by knowing the risk factors and routinely assessing the individuals you treat.
- Purchase the 6 credit Suicide Assessment, Treatment and Management, CE course
- Add Ethical Considerations in the Assessment and Management of Suicide Risk
- Use promo code FreeEthics (case sensitive) during checkout
- Receive Ethical Considerations in the Assessment and Management of Suicide Risk FREE
Click here to improve your assessment skills...
1. The U.S. Opioid Epidemic
The number of drug overdose deaths has never been higher, and the majority of these deaths involved opioids.
CENTER FOR DISEASE CONTROL (CDC)
2. Evaluating cloud-based practice management systems - Part 1
Evaluating cloud-based practice management systems - Part 2
Now is a great time to find a cloud-based practice management system. Dozens of companies are developing solutions and competing for business. Because this is a new and developing technology, many of these companies are open to user feedback and are developing their systems rapidly. With this new trend, expect regular updates and new features.
3. Care of Special Populations
This collection features on the care of special populations, including ethnic minorities; gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered persons; homeless and uninsured persons; and mentally retarded persons.
AMERICAN FAMILY PHYSICIAN
4. Major Physical Health Conditions and Risk of Suicide
Although several individual conditions, for example, traumatic brain injury, were associated with high risk of suicide, nearly all physical health conditions increased suicide risk.
AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PREVENTIVE MEDICINE
5. Preventive Health Behavior Change Text Message Interventions
Text message interventions are capable of producing positive change in preventive health behaviors. Preliminary evidence indicates that these effects can be maintained after the intervention stops.
AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PREVENTIVE MEDICINE
POPULAR, 2 CREDIT, ONLINE CE COURSE
Suicide Crisis Intervention Model with 25 Practical Strategies for Implementation
Suicidal clients are a difficult and challenging population in counseling.
This 2 credit, CE course contains 25 practical, hands-on strategies for counselors to assist in their interactions with suicidal clients.
The strategies are situated within a seven-step model for crisis intervention that is specifically tailored to suicidal clients.
6. ‘The Dr. Jim Show’ Battles Stigma in Local Community
Jim Saccomando, M.D., extends psychiatric expertise over the FM airwaves in Boise, Idaho. Topics are related to mental health, treatment for mental illness, and stigma. The show is presented in a relaxed, conversational tone.
AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHIATRY
7. Business Practices for the Beginning Counselor
"In my. . . master’s and doctoral programs in community and clinical mental health counseling, I received a thorough education in many areas but little instruction on how to establish a private practice."
8. Hypocritical Flip-Flop, or Courageous Evolution? When Leaders Change Their Moral Minds
Just as people may believe that a marital commitment is sacred and should never be broken, people may believe that once a leader takes a moral position, he is making an unbreakable promise to maintain that position forever.
JOURNAL OF PERSONALITY AND SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY
9. What Neuroscience Can and Cannot Answer
The purpose of this editorial is to restore a clear-eyed view that balances both the incredible potential and current limitations of the use of neuroscience in the courtroom.
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PSYCHIATRY AND THE LAW
10. Mitigating the Mental and Physical Health Consequences of Hurricane Harvey
Public health officials and others know that what happens to populations in the months and years after large-scale traumatic events can have more substantial health consequences than the immediate disaster. The mental and physical health consequences of an event like Hurricane Harvey are long-lasting.
NEW 2 CREDIT COURSE
Suicide Assessment and Intervention
Assess for suicide risk and create a safety plan with patients/clients
Identify evidence-based treatments for suicide prevention and management
Determine the level of risk for suicide and refer or provide for proper treatment
Great value - More than 140, top-rated, CE courses designed just for you!
"I have always enjoyed your CE courses. And your new web page makes it Very Easy... I can log in and easily see all courses I have taken. Thanks much for your support ..." - D.S., PhD, Cupertino, CA