135-9-0.3-.01 EMERGENCY RULE: COVID-19 - IN PERSON CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS FOR RENEWAL 09/30/2020 - EFFECTIVE DATE: APRIL 2, 2020
Due to the COVID-19 State of Emergency, for the 2018-2020 renewal cycle only, there shall be no limit on the number of continuing education hours, including ethics hours, that may be obtained online, by any method. This rule shall be effective for the duration of the emergency and for a period of not more than 120 days thereafter.
*Amended 06/24/2020 - Includes CE Hours required for reinstatement/reactivation applicants
135-11-0.4-.01 EMERGENCY RULE: TELEMENTAL HEALTH- EFFECTIVE DATE: APRIL 17, 2020
Due to the COVID-19 State of Emergency, notwithstanding any other rule or provision of law, the requirement in Rule 135-11-.01(b)(1)(i) and (2)(i) that training, in the form of continuing education hours, must be obtained prior to the use of telemental health services or telemental health supervision is hereby modified as follows:
(a) Individuals who have not obtained such training shall obtain at least one (1) hour of telemental health overview training prior to the delivery of telemental health services or telemental health supervision.
(b) The balance of the required continuing education hours shall be obtained within six (6) weeks of the date when the individual first engaged in telemental health services or telemental health supervision. This rule shall be effective for the duration of the State of Emergency and for a period of not more than 120 days thereafter.
Only 54 days left to renew
Your CE renewal date is September 30th!
Good news - Georgia Counselors can earn CE credits online with At Health!
Check that CE off your list, take your courses online today!
CE requirements for Georgia professional counselors (LPC, APC):
- Thirty-five (35) clock hours of continuing education every 2 years
- Minimum of 5 hours of ethics related to specialty. However, ethics cannot be obtained through independent study or online.
- Of the remaining 30 hours, a minimum of 15 shall be core hours and not more than 15 shall be related hours.
- Max of 10 hours can be earned online for each renewal period
- Date of renewal: Sept 30, even numbered years
Core hours = content related to specialty in which license is held. Can be earned online up to 10 hours as long as offered by professional association in the specialty in which license is held
Related hours = activities in another specialty or allied professional like psychiatry, psychology, psychiatric nursing, or pastoral counseling as long as offered or approved by professional associations.
The GA Board has adopted a new rule with regard to the delivery of TeleMental Health - click the button below to review the new rule.
135-11-.01 TeleMental Health
Prior to the delivery of clinical TeleMental Health, the licensee shall have obtained a minimum of six (6) continuing education hours. The continuing education hours may include but are not limited to:
- Internet use dependency and psychological problems
- Research in Telemental Health
- Intake and Assessment- to determine a client’s suitability for telemental health, including informed consent.
- Delivery Methods - recognize appropriate use of telecounseling, asynchronous email/message posting, synchronous digital chat, video-assisted therapy and other electronically supported modes of delivery.
- Theory Integration - understand how to adapt counseling/therapy theory and effective in person techniques to telemental health.
- Termination - recognize similarities and differences between in-person and telemental health closure
- Risk Management - understanding privacy and security standards of applicable laws such as HIPAA
- Business of Telemental Health - review of ethically sound ways to advertise and incorporate telemental health into an existing suite of therapeutic/clinical services.
Prior to the delivery of supervision via telemental health, the supervisor shall have obtained a minimum of nine (9) hours of continuing education.
The State Board of Georgia accepts programs offered by ASWB approved sponsors. Programs are available for continuing education credit through the co-sponsorship of At Health, LLC, and Amedco, LLC. Amedco, #1346, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Amedco maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 6/24/2016 to 6/24/2019.
GA professional counselors can earn ten (10) of their credits online through athealth.com.
View the course catalog
State laws can change. Practitioners are responsible for determining their state’s licensure requirements. To view the Georgia continuing education regulations, click the button below.
View Georgia CE Requirements for Counselors
Page last modified or reviewed by athealth.com on .