Posted on

Alcohol: A Women's Health Issue - Part 8

Getting Help and More Information

  • Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) World Services
    Phone: 212–870–3400Makes referrals to local AA groups and provides informational materials on the AA program. Many cities and towns also have a local AA office listed in the telephone book.
  • Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters
    For locations of Al-Anon or Alateen meetings worldwide, call 888–4AL–ANON (888–425–2666), Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.–6 p.m. (EST)
    For free informational materials, call 757–563–1600, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.–6 p.m.Makes referrals to local Al-Anon groups, which are support groups for spouses and other significant adults in an alcoholic person's life. Also makes referrals to Alateen groups, which offer support to children of alcoholics.
  • National Association for Children of Alcoholics (NACoA)
    E-mail: [email protected]
    Phone: 888–554–COAS or 301–468–0985Works on behalf of children of alcohol- and drug-dependent parents.
  • Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
    Phone: 877-726-4727, SAMHSA leads public health efforts to advance the behavioral health of the nation. SAMHSA's mission is to reduce the impact of substance abuse and mental illness on America's communities., U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
  • National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD)
    Phone: 800–NCA–CALL (800–622–2255)Provides telephone numbers of local NCADD affiliates (who can provide information on local treatment resources) and educational materials on alcoholism.
  • National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
    5635 Fishers Lane, MSC 9304
    Bethesda, Maryland 20892–9304
    Phone: 301–443–3860Offers a free 12-minute video, Alcohol: A Woman's Health Issue, profiling women recovering from alcohol problems and describing the health consequences of heavy drinking in women. Other publications also are available from NIAAA and feature information on a wide variety of topics, including fetal alcohol syndrome, the dangers of mixing alcohol with medications, family history of alcoholism, and preventing underage drinking. See "Additional Reading," below, for information on ordering NIAAA materials.
  • Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator
    Phone: 800–662–HELP (800–662–4357)Offers alcohol and drug information and treatment referral assistance. (This service is provided by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.)

Additional Reading

  • A Family History of Alcoholism: Are You at Risk?—offers easy-to-read information for anyone who is concerned about a family history of alcoholism. English version: NIH Publication Number 03–5340; Spanish version: NIH Publication Number 04–5340–S.
  • Drinking and Your Pregnancy—explains how drinking can hurt a developing baby, the problems that children born with fetal alcohol syndrome have, how to stop drinking, and where to go for help. English version: NIH Publication Number 96–4101; Spanish version: NIH Publication Number 97–4102.
  • Make a Difference: Talk to Your Child About Alcohol—offers guidance to parents and caregivers of young people ages 10 to 14 on preventing underage drinking. English version: NIH Publication Number 06–4314; Spanish version: NIH Publication Number 06–4314–S.
  • Tips for Cutting Down on Drinking—offers a checklist for reducing drinking, including setting goals and keeping track, tips for handling the urge to drink, and learning how to say "no" to alcohol. English and Spanish versions: excerpted from NIH Publication Number 07-3769.

To order, write to: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Publications Distribution Center, P.O. Box 10686, Rockville, MD 20849–0686. The full text of all of the above publications is available on NIAAA's website.

Previous Page

Source: NIH Publication No. 08–4956
Revised 2008

Page last modified or reviewed by athealth on January 29, 2014