CE requirements for Georgia marriage and family therapists (MFT):
- Thirty-five (35) clock hours of continuing education every 2 years
- Minimum of 5 hours of ethics related to specialty. However, ethics cannot be obtained through independent study or online.
- Of the remaining 30 hours, a minimum of 15 shall be core hours and not more than 15 shall be related hours.
- Max of 10 hours can be earned online for each renewal period
- Date of renewal: Sept 30, even numbered years
Core hours = content related to specialty in which license is held. Can be earned online up to 10 hours as long as offered by professional association in the specialty in which license is held
Related hours = activities in another specialty or allied professional like psychiatry, psychology, psychiatric nursing, or pastoral counseling as long as offered or approved by professional associations.
The GA Board has adopted a new rule with regard to the delivery of TeleMental Health -
click here to read the notes on the new rule from the Georgia Board.
135-11-.01 TeleMental Health
Prior to the delivery of clinical TeleMental Health, the licensee shall have obtained a minimum of six (6) continuing education hours. The continuing education hours may include but are not limited to:
- Internet use dependency and psychological problems
- Research in Telemental Health
- Intake and Assessment- to determine a client’s suitability for telemental health, including informed consent.
- Delivery Methods - recognize appropriate use of telecounseling, asynchronous email/message posting, synchronous digital chat, video-assisted therapy and other electronically supported modes of delivery.
- Theory Integration - understand how to adapt counseling/therapy theory and effective in person techniques to telemental health.
- Termination - recognize similarities and differences between in-person and telemental health closure
- Risk Management - understanding privacy and security standards of applicable laws such as HIPAA
- Business of Telemental Health - review of ethically sound ways to advertise and incorporate telemental health into an existing suite of therapeutic/clinical services.
Prior to the delivery of supervision via telemental health, the supervisor shall have obtained a minimum of nine (9) hours of continuing education.
The State Board of Georgia accepts programs offered by ASWB approved sponsors. At Health, LLC, Provider #1707, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. At Health, LLC, maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 5/3/2023-5/3/2026.
Please note: Every state has different continuing education requirements. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the attendee to validate that the course will meet the requirements of his/her state licensure.
GA MFTs can earn ten (10) of their credits online through athealth.com.
State laws can change. Practitioners are responsible for determining their state’s licensure requirements. To view the Georgia continuing education regulations, click the button below.
Page last modified or reviewed by athealth.com on .