Massachusetts social workers are required to take continuing education (CE) as follows:
- LICSW – 30 hours of continuing education every 2 years
- LCSW - 20 hours of continuing education every 2 years
- LSW – 15 hours of continuing education every 2 years
- LSWA – 10 hours of continuing education every 2 years
The Massachusetts Board of Registration of Social Workers accepts distance learning and home study.
Beginning on September 28, 2023, every licensed social worker is required to complete 2 CE hours in anti-racism, and 1 CE hour in anti-discrimination. These CEs do not increase the total number of CEs required by the Board each licensing cycle and should be included within that number. See FAQs here about this requirement.
All licensees must receive a minimum of 75% of their continuing education credit in courses approved for social work continuing education by a recognized entity set forth in 258 CMR, 31.04 (2). The Massachusetts Licensing Board recognizes the following entities:
- National NASW or its State Chapters
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB)
- Social Work Schools (accredited by CSWE)
- National Association of Black Social Workers
- The Department of Children and Families
- The Department of Public Health
- The Department of Mental Health
- Other US or Canadian Social Work Licensing Boards
While licensees may receive all of their continuing education from the above noted recognized entities, up to 25% of continuing education credit may be obtained through courses that have been approved for other professions by the following organizations AND contribute to the professional competence of the social work licensee. In order to be accepted for continuing education credit, the program must be an organized learning experience, be at least fifty (50) minutes in length, and contribute to the growth of professional competence in social work practice. Go to http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/licensee/dpl-boards/sw/regulations/rules-and-regs/258-cmr-3100.html for "Program Content Requirements", 258 CMR 31.04 (1). The Licensing Board has approved the following organizations:
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC)
- Board of Nursing Home Administrator’s (NHA)
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME)
Continuing education credit will not be given for programs that do not apply directly to and "contribute to the growth of professional competence in social work practice." Programs focused on marketing skills, management or other business skills, or computer proficiency skills will not be considered acceptable, as those types of courses are intended to enhance business skills, and not social work skills.
The Massachusetts Board of Registration of Social Workers accepts programs offered by ASWB approved sponsors
At Health, LLC, Provider #1707, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credits. At Health, LLC, maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 6/3/2020-6/3/2023.
Renewal date: Sept 30 even-numbered years
Massachusetts social workers can earn 100% of their CE credits online through athealth.com.
State laws can change. Practitioners are responsible for determining their state’s licensure requirements. To view the Massachusetts continuing education regulations, click the button below.
Page last modified or reviewed by athealth.com on .