Continuing Education (CE) requirements for WI clinical substance abuse counselors, substance abuse counselors, and substance abuse counselors in training:
- 40 hours of continuing education every 2 years
- Board accepts self-study/online courses, except for ethics programs
Proper subject matter includes core curriculum education in one or more of the following areas:
- Substance use disorder counseling, prevention domains, clinical practice, knowledge and skills.
- A field or subject area allied with and relevant to the clinical practice of substance use disorder counseling including work toward an academic degree.
- Substance use disorder counseling practice ethics.
- Professional boundaries.
- Advanced counseling theory and techniques.
- Family issues.
- Mental health issues.
- Substance use disorders studies.
- Clinical supervision principles and procedures.
Wisconsin substance abuse counselors can earn all of their credits online (except courses related to ethics) through athealth.com.
State laws can change. Practitioners are responsible for determining their state’s licensure requirements. To view the Wisconsin continuing education regulations, click the button below.
Page last modified or reviewed by athealth.com on .