California LPCCs (Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors) and LEPs (Licensed Educational Psychologists) must take:
- 36 hours of continuing education (CE) every 2 years, including 6 hours of law and ethics every renewal period.
- In addition, LPCCs must complete a 7-hour continuing education course in the assessment and treatment of people who live with HIV-AIDS. This is a one-time only CE requirement.
- In addition, LEPs must complete
- at least seven (7) hours in child abuse assessment and reporting. This is a one-time only requirement.
- at least fifteen (15) hours in alcoholism and other chemical substance dependency. This is a one-time only requirement.
- If practitioners have a LMFT or LCSW license in addition to the LEP or LPCC license, they may apply CE hours to both if the course meets the CE guidelines and the subject matter relates to both scopes of practice.
- LPCCs who assess or treat couples or families, supervise an MFT trainee or intern, or supervise an LPCC or PCC intern who is gaining experiences with couples or families must include 6 hours in marriage and family therapy in their total number of course hours.
CE Approval: The CA Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts programs from APA and NBCC approved sponsors. At Health is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. At Health, Inc. is approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6719.
California LPCCs and LEPs can earn all thirty-six (36) of their credits online through athealth.com View the course catalog
State laws can change. Practitioners are responsible for determining their state’s licensure requirements. To view the California continuing education regulations, go to http://www.bbs.ca.gov/licensees/ce_licensees.shtml
Page last modified or reviewed by athealth.com on October 18, 2017